Office of Clinical Education
IU Health Office of Clinical Education
The Office of Clinical Education (OCE) is a system-wide office within Academic Affairs that serves to facilitate the coordination of clinical matches between providers and advanced practice provider (APP) students who are seeking clinical experiences within all of Indiana University Health facilities and clinics statewide.
A core mission of IU Health is to provide excellence in education, as an academic healthcare system, by supporting learners within our organization and within our communities.
OCE has an interactive database which allows APP students to apply for clinical experiences with IU Health providers. Students can also upload a resume, syllabus, and other documents to complement their student profile and enhance their prospects for clinical placement during the selection process.
Students who are selected by preceptors for clinical experiences will be required to complete online modules that must be completed before IU Health can provide students access to the information systems. OCE’s process also includes ensuring that educational affiliation agreements are in place between the IU Health clinical site and educational institutions. Please visit the Educational Affiliation Agreement site for more information about additional student requirements prior to starting clinical experiences.
Student Application Process:
1. REGISTER HERE. It usually takes 1-2 business days for the registration to be processed. An activation email will be sent to you from the Center for Physician Education (CPE).
2. Activate the account and complete the student profile. The APP Student Manual should aid you in completing this process.
3. Submit applications each semester as needed. The student may submit multiple applications per semester for the different clinical experience types needed during the same term (i.e., 100 hrs. family medicine, 100 hrs. women’s health, and 100 hrs. pediatrics = 300 clinical hours needed for the semester).
Below is the timeline for student application and notification:
|1. Semester Breakdown||2. Students Apply||3. Preceptors Select Students||4. Students Are Notified|
|Summer (Starts May - Ends Jul)||Dec 1 - Feb 1||Feb 1 - Mar 1||March 15|
|Fall (Starts Aug - Ends Dec)||Mar 1 - Apr 1||Apr 1 - May 1||May 15|
|Spring (Starts Jan - Ends Apr)||July 1 - Sep 1||Sep 1 - Oct 1||Oct 15|
- Semester dates as defined by OCE’s database. Students who have a different semester breakdown will need to adjust their request for clinical hours to match OCE’s.
- Application dates when students can apply for the following semester
Assignment dates for preceptors to select the students they want to precept. During this time, OCE is also looking for preceptors to take students.
This is a waiting period for students.
Students are urged to avoid all types of preceptor solicitations (e.g., cold-calls, email solicitations, office walk-ins, and walking up to providers they do not know). IU Health strongly discourages preceptor solicitations.
- These are the dates when OCE will notify students whether a preceptor match has been made. OCE will not provide early notification to individual students. Students from schools that have different deadlines from OCE will need to communicate with their school’s coordinator where they are in OCE’s process and arrange any adjustments needed to their planned clinical schedule.
Be advised that applying in OCE’s database does not guarantee placement with an IU Health preceptor.
If the student is not matched with an IU Health preceptor, the student may look for a preceptor outside of IU Health. Notify OCE immediately by withdrawing a pending application in the database.
Students who make arrangements outside of this process, neglect to keep application information accurate, or decline a preceptor match arranged by OCE is at risk of being denied future clinical placement.
For questions please contact us at:
Thank you for considering IU Health for your clinical education.